St George’s, July 2016. St Joseph’s Convent St George’s in Grenada has issued its first formal report to the Caribbean Delegation of the Sacred Military Constantinian Order of St George on the progress of this charitable project.
The project pertains to the construction of a new block of the school, which was was severely damaged in the wake of the devastation caused by two hurricanes in 2004 and 2005 and then demolished in 2012 when the building was declared inhabitable.
This charitable project was launched during a delegation visit of the Sacred Military Constantinian Order of St George to Grenada in March 2016, during which the Delegate, Anthony Bailey, formally presented to the Principal of St Joseph’s Convent Sr Lucy Gabriel, the cheque of over $600,000 from the Constantinian Order.
The works for the reconstruction and outfit of the basement level started in May 2016 and include the construction on exterior and interior walls, installation of windows and walls, plumbing and electrical installations.
St Joseph’s Convent St George’s is the oldest secondary school in Grenada, established in 1875 by the Irish sisters of the Order of St Josephs of Cluny. The school has historically contributed to the education of renowned doctors, lawyers, educators, and many other professionals, including two Governor Generals of Grenada. It currently houses 654 students and 48 staff members.
This project is part of a charitable programme being supported through the efforts of the Delegation of Great Britain and Ireland and in cooperation with the Delegation for the Caribbean, which was formally announced during the Official Visit of the Grand Master of the Constantinian Order, HRH The Duke of Castro and His Eminence Renato Raffaele Cardinal Martino, Grand Prior in June 2015.